HealthShare Managed Connections:
Connect to All the Data Sources You Need, Without All the Time, Effort, and Cost
InterSystems HealthShare® Managed Connections is a one-stop hub for providers, payers, and life sciences companies that need easier, faster, and more cost-effective access to health data. When you don’t want to spend the time and money to make connections to many organizations and different healthcare information systems, and manage it all yourself, use HealthShare Managed Connections for:
- A single connection to national federated networks such as CommonWell Health Alliance (CommonWell)
- Safe, secure connections to data from healthcare providers
- On-demand connections to organizations not yet connected to the HSMC hub
- A managed infrastructure so you can focus on innovation, not technology
HealthShare Managed Connections is based on the HealthShare Best-in-KLAS Interoperability Platform. If there is a connection you need to develop, it’s likely we have done it before. For example, in the U.S. alone, InterSystems HealthShare is connected to:
- 26% of the hospitals, hosting 58% of the total beds in the country
- Nearly 2,300 EHRs and over 8,300 other clinical information systems
The Power of Connection, Multiplied
Through the HealthShare Managed Connections hub, any number of participants can exchange information in a safe, controlled, reliable, and efficient manner. CommonWell and Carequality alone give you access to data from thousands of care locations and providers, on millions of individuals. HealthShare Managed Connections also allows you to make new connections upon request.
Note that the use of data from these national networks is subject to the data use agreements of those networks. For example, Carequality data may only be used for the care of an individual patient.
Faster, Simplified Contracting
When it’s time for your first connection to the HealthShare Managed Connections hub and its data services, you enter into a standard participation agreement with InterSystems. This agreement covers all subsequent connections to data sources. The organizations you want to connect to will have their own agreements with us. There’s no need to negotiate separate agreements with each source. When you need data from a new source (known as a HealthShare Managed Connections “service”) you simply subscribe to that service through the hub.
You Know What You’re Getting
Each HealthShare Managed Connections data service is defined by a specification detailing:
- What data is delivered
- How the data is processed
- The terms governing its use
All participants in the HealthShare Managed Connections hub, whether data provider or consumer, adhere to the same specification. Operationally, InterSystems is responsible for:
- Creating, managing, monitoring, and maintaining your connections
- Providing comprehensive security and data protection
- Giving your organization transparent access to operational metrics
- Connections to individual organizations and major networks
Providing Better Care and Advancing Clinical Research
As a healthcare provider, you can use HealthShare Managed Connections to improve care delivery with access to comprehensive data for each patient. HealthShare Managed Connections also makes it easier to use de-identified patient data for participation in research studies, on your terms, without losing control of the data.
If you are not a current HealthShare customer, you can benefit from the power of the complete HealthShare product with an additional subscription to HealthShare Managed Solutions.
HealthShare Managed Solutions will aggregate, deduplicate, and normalize data from multiple sources that you designate. Clinical, payer, and social data, for example, can be aggregated, normalized, and then stored in a private HealthShare Unified Care Record. This clean data is then available for:
- Access to discrete data elements via HL7 FHIR for use in FHIR based applications
- Viewing all the data for each patient, thoughtfully organized, presented, and actionable using the HealthShare Clinical Viewer, seamlessly integrated into the clinical applications in your organization
- Merging directly into your EHR, as opposed to exposure in a separate “tab” for external data, to give clinicians easier access to a more complete picture of each patient
- On-demand analysis and reporting for clinical or operational purposes
- Use in population health initiatives, applications of machine learning and artificial intelligence, and clinical research
Connecting Payers and Providers to Reduce Costs and Improve Outcomes
In health plans and other payer organizations, a single connection to HealthShare Managed Connections can provide access to data supporting Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) reporting and risk adjustment, and other payment and operations functions to reduce time, errors, and cost.
In addition to national data networks such as CommonWell, payers can access the athenahealth Health Plan Data Exchange network through our partnership with athenahealth, Inc., providing access to:
- >153 million patient records
- >130,000 provider organizations
Leveraging Clinical Data for Research & Development in Life Sciences and MedTech
In Life Sciences and MedTech companies, you can use HealthShare Managed Connections to simplify data sharing for clinical research and healthcare innovation. Our strong data usage contracting model ensures compliance with national and international regulations, and promotes data-sharing efficiency, safety, and transparency.
HealthShare Managed Connections serves up the health data that you need and integrates several services including:
- Study Planning and Design
- Patient Identification and Recruitment
- Real-World Data and Analytics
Take the Next Step
InterSystems is aiming to transform the world of healthcare information interoperability with the pre-built connectivity, faster onboarding, easier maintenance, higher availability, and lower costs of HealthShare Managed Connections. Built on the solid core of InterSystems interoperability and database technology, and with a wide network of partner organizations, HealthShare Managed Connections can support your data needs on demand and at any scale.