CUSTOMER: Fortune 100 Investment Bank
CHALLENGE: The development manager at a top global investment bank needed to find a solution to meet the following demands of his organization’s business.
OUTCOME: The client deployed InterSystems data platform to address both the business and technical challenges.
- The customer management application must support the ability to answer ad-hoc queries about an end customer’s assets
- The same system must support the ability to report traceability to show that trades were in compliance
- The customer management application must scale dynamically and respond to queries in milliseconds, not seconds
- The underlying database must be able to handle big data volumes (TBs) of trade data from across the firm
- The underlying system must scale with increasing demands of velocity, variety, and volume of data
- The system must reduce infrastructure costs
The firm’s data was archived into a Hadoop data lake. The architecture had the following limitations:
- The data lake was good for basic historical analysis but could not support real-time, current data streams
- Performance was barely acceptable and had limitations on scaling out
- The application could not provide data drill down for analysis reporting (Hive only supported simple SQL queries, no joins)
- The application could not support more advanced, analytical needs
InterSystems Data Platform
- HDFS was integrated with the data platform to combine terabytes of historical data with current transactions
- The data platform’s persistent store and cached data layer was architected to support the needs of different lines of business. A single deployed reference architecture supported ad-hoc user defined queries with high performance
- InterSystems data platform supports complex SQL queries across all applications while meeting SLAs
- InterSystems data platform for financial services uniquely combines shared-nothing and shared- everything architectures. It proved to be the only option in the market that could provide the required performance at scale
- The reduced costs requirement was met because InterSystems data platform’s ‘cloud-friendly architecture’ does not require specialized hardware. The application could be configured to run (and scale) on commodity hardware
InterSystems Data Platform Capabilities and Benefits
Contact us to learn more about InterSystems data platform or to schedule a demonstration.