To compare concurrent real-time data ingestion and query performance between leading databases in the market.
To accommodate the demands of today’s digital economy, financial organisations need a data management solution that accommodates rapid data ingestion while querying data in real-time – at scale and without sacrificing performance.
Watch this video to learn about a Speed Test, designed to compare concurrent real-time data ingestion and query performance between InterSystems IRIS and other leading in-memory and relational databases.
In less than 25 minutes, Amir will explain:
- The architecture of the Speed Test and explore the Git repository
- How the Speed Test is run
- How to change the Speed Test to adapt it to your use case
An example schema
If we are constantly inserting records (Data ingestion) to the database, there is an out of memory pressure building up, in order to open up more space in memory for the new records which will force these databases to write to disk. On the other hand, we are running parallel queries as well for a specific set of records which will force the database to try their best to keep those constantly requested records in memory. That is what we call in-memory pressure.
But InterSystems IRIS is a hybrid database. As with traditional databases, it will also try to keep data in memory. But as thousands of records per second are coming in fast due to the ingestion work, the memory is purged very fast. This test allows you to see how InterSystems IRIS is smart about its cache when compared to other traditional databases and In-Memory databases. You will see that:
- Traditional databases will perform poorly at ingestion and query
- In-Memory databases will:
- Perform well at ingestion during the first minutes of the test as memory fills up, compression becomes harder and writing to disk becomes unavoidable
- Perform poorly at querying since the system will be too busy with ingestion, compressing data, moving data out of memory, etc.
Results show that InterSystems IRIS ingests more data with simultaneous querying:
- 65% more than an in-memory database
- 15x more than a cloud RDBMS
- 5.6x more than a traditional RDBMS
And queries more records with simultaneous ingestion:
- 20x more than an in-memory database
- 4.6x more than a cloud RDBMS
Why InterSystems IRIS?
We are proud to back our world-class technology with world-class support. Our Worldwide Response Center (WRC) has personnel in cities around the globe and provides engineering-level expertise and multilingual 24/7 support for all InterSystems products.